Monday 25 October 2021

When Will the Killing End?

Gloria Clark
Following her real-life tragedy, Gloria Clark's poem describes what happens in the aftermath of the killing of a chld. 

 

Another night of violence; another young life ends.

Another family crying; another vigil to attend.

Our sons are quickly dying, taken from us way to soon.

Their bodies being littered under twilight of the moon.

I hear a mother crying; sounds like thunder in my ears.

Oh how I wish I could comfort, and wipe away her tears.

Though her face I cannot see and her name remains unknown,

I find the need to let her know that she is not alone.

I feel a deep connection from the bottom of my soul,

For the pain she feels I also feel; my heart still bears the hole.

Our families have been broken, our spirits even more.

For we have lost our loved ones; the ones we so adored.

Can we ever find that happy place where we used to be?

Before young boys with guns and drugs attacked our city streets?

Do the colors that he’s wearing make you want to take his life?

Or are you simply angry and cannot deal with family strife?

Do you have a burning desire to feel the love our loved ones knew?

Where are your family values? Guess that’s missing in your life too!

Is the gang you’re in your haven? Does it take away your pain?

Does it make you feel significant? Is it your personal domain?

What can be done to end this war? When will the killing end?

We’re in a quandary, what can we do? All rational thoughts transcend.

It’s time to stop the violence; the shootings have to cease.

We have to learn to love one another and try to live in Peace.

Young men out there who find the need for a weapon to conceal,

Before you pull that trigger remember that body may never heal.

Life is a precious gift, given from the Lord above,

He gave us life to show us of his unfailing, undying love.

He died for us upon the cross and gave his only son,

That we will have the tree of life; He died and said, “It’s done”.

So stop the drugs and the killing and put the guns away,

Be smart learn to walk away to live another day.

 

            “This is the day that the lord has made;

                   Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

                              Psalm 118: 23-25

My youngest son was shot and killed in 2000 which prompted me to write a short story of the struggles I faced in trying to deal with his untimely death. The title of my short book is entitled When Half of Your Heart Dies

I am a retired bookkeeper from Buffalo, NY and I lived a happy, fruitful life being the mother of two sons and the grandmother of two granddaughters until the summer of 2000 when my youngest son Darian was shot and killed as he and friends were leaving a Social Club in our city. This is when my entire life changed and it will never be the same again.  

Go here for readings from the Blogging Carnival for Nonviolence.  

Go here for NVC resources.  

Go here for more from the Blogging Carnival for Nonviolence 2021.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment